the spirit of the times
AFFILIATION: Pittsburgh Filmmakers is a 501(c)(3) non-profit arts organization.
SPECIAL SKILLS: the Regent Square Theater’s Sunday Night Classics series (a great way to conclude the weekend), Film Kitchen at Melwood (a monthly program of locally made films and videos, now in it’s 13th year) and hi-end 16mm projection (yes, it still exists).
DCP ? : Currently installed at the Regent Square, planning Harris and Melwood conversions down the line when funds become available.
FIRST ZEITGEIST MOVIE: Tony Buba’s Lightning Over Braddock: A Rustbowl Fantasy in 1988
PRICE OF A SMALL POPCORN: $3.00
When Pittsburgh Filmmakers was founded in 1971, its primary mission was to serve non-commercial filmmakers and photographers in the Pittsburgh area by providing low-cost access to the expensive tools of their art forms. More than 40 years later, their mission continues with the addition of extensive education, membership and exhibition programs.
Pittsburgh Filmmakers operates three single screen theaters in the Pittsburgh area that feature American independents, documentaries, and first-run foreign films, as well as an ongoing weekly series of popular classics. All three theaters are equipped to project Super-8, 16mm, reel-to-reel 35mm, and certain digital formats. Pittsburgh Filmmakers also produces, hosts and programs the Three Rivers Film Festival, held annually in early November.
The Melwood Screening Room was built in 1995 as part of extensive renovations that converted an urban warehouse into attractive headquarters for Filmmakers’ administrative and equipment access offices, classrooms, and sound stage. Located on the second floor, the Screening Room shares a lobby with Filmmakers’ Galleries.
The Harris Theater opened as Avenue Cinema in 1931 and featured “continental pictures.” In 1935 it changed to the Art Cinema, a name it kept for more than 50 years. By the 1960s the Art Cinema was part of the city’s red-light district and became an adult movie theater. It was renovated in the early 90s as part of a strategic cultural renaissance; The Harris has been programmed and operated by Pittsburgh Filmmakers since 1995. It is the only movie theater in downtown Pittsburgh.
The Regent Square is one of the last remaining single-screen neighborhood theaters in the region and is surrounded by funky shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, and art galleries. Built in 1938, old-timers fondly remember going to see the Marx Brothers, Bogart & Bacall and John Ford Westerns at the original theater – a tradition that continues with the Sunday night classic film series.
We’ve had the privilege of bringing our films to Pittsburgh with Pittsburgh Filmmakers since the very beginning of Zeitgeist, and we’re thrilled to present our Russian noir Elena at the Regent Square Theater today… click here for tickets!
(special thanks to Gary Kaboly of PGH Filmmakers)